Arden continues to offer our students a well-balanced education, with many varied opportunities for students to shine. Here are some of our recent achievements.
Please see the 2015 HSC Brochure for our most recent academic achievements.
- Matthew Jigalin (Year 12, 2015) was recognised as first in the State in Industrial Technology – Multimedia Technologies. He accepted a place in the prestigious Bachelor of Information Technology Co-operative Scholarship Program at the University of Technology, Sydney. He was also selected for inclusion in InTech and also for Shape 2015.
- Ryan Atkins (Year 12, 2015) achieved 7th in the State in Drama and he was also nominated for OnStage. His Industrial Technology project was selected for inclusion in InTech. He was accepted into Macquarie University’s Global Leadership Entry Program.
- Elise Webb (Year 12, 2015) was accepted into Macquarie University’s Global Leadership Entry Program.
- Kate Ferreira (Year 12, 2014) was recognised as 4th in the State for PDHPE in 2014.
- Alexandra Neale (Year 12, 2014) was awarded the Marie Bashir Peace Award in 2014.
- James Dimarco (Year 12, 2014) accepted into Macquarie University’s Global Leadership Entry Program.
- Willem van Wyk recognised as Overall Winning Student for Year 12 Engineering Studies in the 2014 University of Wollongong Awards.
- Louise Hochholzer was Arden’s first HSC student to be recognised as first in the State for a subject (Geography) in 2012. She was also awarded the Marie Bashir Peace Award in the same year.
- Arden has been recognised to be promoting a good reading culture by internationally acclaimed author Morris Gleitzman at the annual 2015 Arden Readers’ Festival.
- The Arden Junior School Applied Technology Team was awarded 2nd place in NSW at the State Tournament of Minds Competition in 2014.
- The Mathematical Engineering Team was awarded Honours (second place) at the State Tournament of Minds Competition in September, 2013.
- Arden’s Upper Primary Team was presented the 2014 National Primary School trophy for fundraising, plus Highly Commended (second place) for NSW Best Book at the Write a Book in a Day Award Ceremony at Children’s Hospital, Westmead.
- The Primary Vocal Ensemble achieved 2nd place at the Ryde Eisteddfod in 2013.
- The Symphonic Wind Ensemble achieved 2nd place in the Open C Grade Concert Band section of the NSW State Band Championships in 2013.
- The Senior Theatresports team placed equal third in the Grand Finals of Impro Australia Theatresports Schools in 2015.
- The Intermediate Theatresports team placed second in the Grand Finals of Impro Australia Theatresports Schools Challenge in 2013.
- Timothy Blowes (Year 7, 2015) was awarded the “Young Sporting Spirit Award 2015” for the Newslocal – Northern District Times.
- Jack Strawhan (Year 4, 2016) was nominated for “Junior Sports Star 2016” for the NewsLocal – Hills Shire Times.
- Justin McLean (Year 10, 2015) was nominated for “Junior Sports Star 2015” for the NewsLocal – Northern District Times.
- Scarlett Prowse (Year 6, 2014) was recognised as the 2014 NSW State Champion for 100m and 200m in the Under 11 Years Girls at the PSSA championships. She was announced as a finalist for the “Young Achiever Sports Award for 2014” for the Newslocal – Hornsby Advocate. In 2015 she received the Premier’s Award for outstanding sporting achievements.
- Olivia Cason (Year 11, 2014) won Gold at the 2014 All School’s Athletics Carnival in the 400m and Silver in the 200m, qualifying her for both events in the All Schools Nationals in December 2014 and also the Australian Junior Championships in March, 2015. She was announced as a finalist for the “Young Achiever Sports Award for 2014” for the Newslocal – North Shore Times.
- Arden was recognised as the Hills Zone Sport Association, Best Performing School both in 2015 and 2014. In addition, in 2015 Arden was also recognised as Runner-up for Hills Zone Sport Association Overall Champion School.
- Arden was placed 2nd in the 2015 Hills Zone for the most successful Summer Sport School.
- Adrian Nesci (Year 8, 2013) was announced as the awardee for the “Young Achiever Sports Award for 2012” for the NewsLocal – Northern District Times.
- Elise Webb (Year 11, 2013) was a finalist for the “Young Achiever Sports Award for 2012” for the NewsLocal – Northern District Times.
- Arden athletes have excelled in a variety of sports, with many individual students representing Arden successfully at higher levels including swimming, cross country, athletics and mountain biking. Students have also enjoyed sport representations in cricket, AFL, volleyball, golf, open rugby, gymnastics, tennis and snow sports.
- All three of Arden’s dance groups were awarded first place in each of their genres in the secondary schools category at the North West Dance Stars Eisteddfod in 2013. In addition, both the senior jazz and contemporary groups were awarded “runners up” as the Overall Dance Champions in the open age category.
Our students have a heart for service. Some examples include:
- The 2016 Cambodia and Vietnam Mission team successfully raised $34,000 to help needy communities in Cambodia and Vietnam for their The Extra Mile Project. Importantly, the students had a truly life-changing experience by serving people in both countries.
- Students regularly organise and support fundraising events. Examples include the Girls’ Night In ($4,568.80 raised for the Cancer Council Pink Ribbon Fundraiser in 2016), Boys’ Bash ($2,900 raised for Beyond Blue in 2016) and 40 Hour Famine ($12,500 raised for World Vision in 2015).
- Student Representative Council launched its environmental arm, the Green Planterns in 2012.
- Arden launched a Social Justice Group in 2013.
- Year 11 students participated in an Environmental Project as part of the National Championships of Snowgum Hillary Challenge. Arden Team 1 was recognised as 2014 State Champions and then finished 5th place at the 2014 Nationals.
- Siobhan Kelly (Year 12, 2015) and Ashlee Millingham (Year 12, 2012) were both awarded the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award.