Green and gold delight

Posted on November 29, 2019

Tim Blowes wasn’t even born the last time the Pararoos played a match in Australia.

In fact, neither were the majority of his teammates.

It’s why Blowes is thrilled Australia is hosting Canada this Saturday in the first international on home soil in almost two decades.

Cromer Oval, home of Manly Warringah Football Association and Manly United FC, will host the match between the Australia’s senior men’s national football team for athletes with cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury or symptoms acquired from stroke, and Canada.

“It’s the first one since the 2000 Paralympics and only two players in the squad, Chris Pyne and David Barber, I think were there.

“I think the majority of the squad weren’t even born then, I know I wasn’t, ’’ Blowes said.

The Year 11 student at Arden Anglican school at Epping, lives in Ryde and plays for the North Ryde Soccer Club in the Gladesville Hornsby Football Association division two league. While representing NSW for a number of years, this is his first call-up to the Pararoos. His cerebral palsy affects his left side.

“I’ve been playing since I was four so this is amazing,’’ Blowes said of the upcoming match against Canada.

“It’s pretty incredible. I’m pumped.”

Pararoos v Canada, November 30, Cromer Park, kick-off at 5.30pm. Tickets on sale via pararoos.com.au

Written by Amanda Lulham for Northern District Times