At Arden, work placements, seminars, excursions, careers profiling and mock interviews are among a suite of offerings Year 9 to Year 12 students engage with as we prepare them for their post-school transition. We also help them explore options such as university or TAFE, an industry cadetship, apprenticeship and/or traineeship as well as an international exchange or gap program.
Our partner programs with local universities give our students access to preferred admissions schemes, scholarships and prizes and our connection with the federally funded youth provider “2 Realise” allows students to access structured work placements and sponsored community education programs.
Career activities by year group
• The City Experience 3-day camp program introduces students to a variety of workplaces and training providers.
• Career education seminars are included in our pastoral care program. Year 10 topics covered include: self-awareness for careers, portfolio building, resume writing, personal presentation for job interviews, work experience preparation and subject selection for Senior School, among others.
• All students in Year 10 and new students to the Senior School participate in the Morrisby Report Career Profiling. The comprehensive test and 23-page report helps students to understand their abilities, interests, preferred learning and working style and personality and how this relates to subjects, study, courses, professions and occupations. A parent information evening provides essential detail about the report information and suggestions to assist students to navigate the possibilities.
• All day program touring Macquarie University.
• School supported work experience week placement.
• Subject selection counseling with the flexibility to choose a Distance Education or TAFE Vocational Education Training Certificate 11 course in the student’s Preliminary and HSC pattern of study to meet personal career ambitions.
• Employability Skills Training Day involving mock interviews with parent and industry expert volunteers.
• Assistance to obtain a Tax File Number.
• Career education seminars are included in our pastoral care program. Year 11 topics include: preparing applications, credentials and articulation in the Australian Qualifications Framework, and how to find tertiary course and scholarship information.
• Excursion to a local careers and tertiary expo.
• Career education seminars are included in our pastoral care program. Year 12 topics include: applying to the Universities Admissions Centre, applying for private tertiary providers, applying for employment and alternative entry schemes.
• Visits from university, college, cadet and vocational representatives are scheduled.
• The Year 12 Future Directions Student and Parent Evening is an information evening where a panel representing the destinations desired by students transitioning from school discusses school leaving scenarios.
• Individual post-school planning interview with the Careers Adviser.
• Excursion to a city-wide careers and tertiary expo.
• A Year 12 Post School Destinations Survey of leavers is conducted in the January after school completion to track the destinations of graduates.